page contents

Gunnison Valley Police Department

Gunnison Valley Police Department

The official website for the Gunnison Valley Police Department.

Animal Control

A link to the Centerfield City animal control ordinances can be found here.

**Please check out Facebook and Google+ pages for posts regarding lost pets.

Animal Control  investigates the following:

  • Loose Dogs
  • Dog Licensing
  • Animal Cruelty
  • Nuisance Animals
  • Animal Bites/Attacks
  • Rabies Control

Our Partners...

Centerfield City is too small to operate our own animal shelter.  We rely on other organizations to help us serve our animal population.   Without them, we would not be able to provide the the level of service enjoyed by our residents.

The Gunnison Valley Animal Clinic works in partnership with  Centerfield City by providing shelter and boarding for our impounded animals.  In addition to caring for our animals, while we seek their owners, GVAC networks with other groups to find homes for those animals who need them.

Wag-N-Train dog rescue has helped countless stray animals from our community find new "forever homes".  Although our relationship is held through our connection with GVAC, they provide an invaluable service to the animals in our community.

"Sanpete Lost and Found" is a Facebook page that a member of our community established as an aid to help owners reunite with their pets.  Sanpete is a great place to live because volunteers such as these, are always willing to help.

Shelter Animals Count | The National Database Project

We are also pleased to participate with the Shelter Animals Count program.

Shelter Animals Count is a collaborative effort with broad representation from the animal welfare community. By creating standardized reporting and definitions for shelter statistics including intake, adoptions, return-to-owner, transfers, euthanasia and shelter deaths, we will increase live outcomes. The board is dedicated to furthering more transparency with anonymity through sharing of shelter data to increase lifesaving opportunities.

Animal Control FAQ's

1.  Question: What are the animal licensing laws and fees? 
 All dogs are required to be licensed annually. Dog owners must be 18 years or older and possess proof of current rabies vaccination for the animal.  All dogs  over the age of three months are required to be licensed.  A license may be purchased from the Centerfield City Hall (130 S Main St). To be in possession of an unlicensed dog, even if that animal does not leave your property, is unlawful and may result in citation.  The cost of a dog license is $30, however a license for a dog that has been spayed/neutered is only $15.

2.  Question: My dog(s) have been impounded.  What do I need to do?
 All animals impounded in Centerfield City are boarded at the Gunnison Valley Animal Clinic located at 630 S Main St in Gunnison.  You may redeem you dog(s) from impound by doing the following:

  1. Please visit the Centerfield City offices, located at 130 S Main St.  You will be required to pay an impound fee for each impounded dog.  The impound fee is determined by whether or not your dog is currently licensed with the city, as required by city ordinance.
    1. If your dog is currently licensed, or does not yet require a license, a $50 per dog impound fee will be assessed.
    2. If your dog is not currently licensed, a $100 per dog impound fee will be assessed.  In addition, you must license your dog at that time.
  2. After paying the required fees, you may arrive at the Gunnison Valley Animal Clinic to redeem your dog(s).  At that time the Gunnison Valley Animal Clinic may charge additional fees related to the boarding and car of your animal(s).  These fees are charged by GVAC and must be paid before redeeming your dog.
  3. ***Note*** You must visit the Centerfield City Offices and pay the required impound and licensing fees prior to going to the Gunnison Valley Animal Clinic to redeem your dog. 

3.  Question: How many dogs may I have?
 There is no limit to the number of dogs that you may own.  However, in order to have more than 4 dogs, you must apply for a kennel license.  

  1. A small kennel license (harboring five (5) to nine (9) dogs) shall be one hundred dollars ($100.00).
  2. A large kennel license (harboring ten (10) or more dogs but not to exceed forty (40) dogs) shall be one hundred fifty dollars ($150.00). For each dog over the forty (40) dog limit, the cost shall increase by ten dollars ($10.00) for each dog. (Res. 2010-3, 4-15-2010)

4. Question: What are the laws dealing with barking dogs?
 It is an animal owner's responsibility to ensure that their dog is not making excessive noises, resulting in the disturbance of another.  Centerfield City encourages neighbors to speak with an offending dog owner, or leave a note before requesting animal control assistance. Most often a dog owner is unaware of his dogs' offensiveness to others.  If, after contact with a neighbor, no change results in the animal's behavior, animal control should be notified.  An Officer will contact the dog owner, inform them of the complaint and provide them with a copy of the city ordinance and possible solutions. If the noise continues, you must realize that your assistance will play an important part to the solution. Because a nuisance takes place over an extended period of time, unlike loud music or a party, documentation will be necessary to determine if the noise is a nuisance. A video tape recording of the animal will assist in showing that this, without question, is the problem animal. The video will also provide the city with a sample of the noises being made by the dog. If the dog owner is issued a citation, you will be required to appear in court to testify to the nature of the noise. The city recommends having a second neighbor agree and be willing to file a formal complaint as well.

5.  Question: What should we do if we are bitten by an animal?
 All animal bites should be considered serious. The primary cause of bites reaching a serious nature, is infection. The wound should be washed with soap and water as soon as possible and contact made with your doctor. If the wound is bleeding, apply pressure and go to a hospital. If you choose to treat the wound at home, after washing the wound, apply antibiotic cream and bandage. If you are unsure if the victim is currently vaccinated for tetanus make an appointment with your doctor to do so. If the wound becomes sensitive or swollen seek medical attention. All animal bites should be reported to animal control within 24 hours. The City of Centerfield is concerned with monitoring the health status of all biting animals. If the owner of a biting animal is violating the law by allowing a vicious animal to run loose, a citation may be issued. Most bites are from an animal the victim is closely associated with. Contact should be made with Animal Control to ensure the safety of all involved. If the owner of the biting animal is unknown, the animal should be contained until animal control can respond and take the animal into custody. If the animal is not friendly, do not attempt to contain it. The animal may be followed from a vehicle to determine where it lives or to assist animal control in locating it. To ensure the victim's safety, post exposure shots should be discussed with your doctor, and the animal quarantined. An animal quarantine may be conducted at the dog owner's home, if considered responsible, or at an animal holding facility. If during the ten days while under quarantine the animal shows no sign of the disease, the victim will not require treatment.

6.  Question: What should we do if we find a loose animal? 
 Children should be instructed never to approach a stray animal. A loose animal may be scared, hurt or mean ... resulting in a bite. There are multiple diseases and parasites that animals carry which are transmittable by touch. Adults should be hesitant as well before approaching a loose animal. Call the police dispatcher (435) 835-2345 with the animal's description, location and direction of travel. If the animal has been observed in the area before, attempt to find who it belongs to. From your vehicle, you may follow the animal to see if it goes home. Once the owner is identified, you may contact animal control and we will educate and warn the responsible party about laws regarding his animal running at large. If the stray is friendly and approachable, check to see if the animal has identification.  All strays must be turned in to  Animal Control within 24 hours of capture. Lost animals stand a better chance of being found while at a shelter, rather than in your possession. An owner is more likely to call a shelter looking for their lost animal than your home.

7.  Question: What are the guidelines dealing with cruelty to animals?
 Cruelty is any act causing unjustifiable physical pain, suffering or death of an animal. All animals must be provided adequate food, water, and care. Care is the provision of necessary maintenance and medical attention. Shelter is required for all domestic animals, with exception of livestock. Shelter has been defined as a place of refuge, providing adequate protection from extreme weather conditions. Cruelty includes the placement of an animal inside a vehicle without adequate ventilation for an unusual length of time or the intentional abandonment of an animal.

8.  Question: What is the leash law?
 "Owner’s Duty-  Any owner or appointed keeper of a dog(s) shall make every effort to securely leash, kennel, restrain or keep under the direct control of the responsible party, such dog. The owner of the dog(s) shall be considered negligent and strictly liable for any damages caused as stated in Utah Code Annotated §18-1-1"

9.  Question: What is rabies and how is it treated?
 Rabies is a viral disease that attacks the central nervous system resulting in fever, nausea, abdominal pain, paralysis, coma, and finally, death. When a person is bitten or receives a lick to an open wound or mucous membrane, the virus enters the body. Most people develop symptoms within 60 days of exposure. Cats, dogs, cattle, skunks, raccoons and bats are susceptible to this disease. Recognizing rabies in an infected animal can be difficult. Most people think of rabid animals as foaming at the mouth. In fact, most animals only display this symptom in the final stages of infection. More recognizable symptoms are those of abnormal behavior, loss of appetite, aggression, choking, or a change in barking tones. Wild animals sometimes loose their fear of humans and become friendly. An animal may appear 100% healthy but still be infected with rabies. All bites should be reported to Animal Control so the animal can be quarantined.  If within ten days of exposure an animal shows no signs of the disease, the victim will not need treatment. The delay between exposure and signs of symptoms, called the incubation period, allows time to observe the animal and avoid unnecessary treatment. To protect yourself against rabies make sure all of your pets are vaccinated, teach your children to stay away from loose animals and wildlife, and report all animals bites to Animal Control.

38 West Center Street, Gunnison, Utah 84634 - (435) 528-5532 -